[pianotech] Finally found one, there must be more.

Jeff Deutschle oaronshoulder at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 05:08:05 MDT 2009

I have been keeping my eye out for a brand of old upright that does
not have a notched out bridge for strut clearance. Finally found one.
It was a boxy looking Weaver made in York. PA. The way they did it was
by having two struts creating two treble breaks. The struts were cast
with an offset that went around the bridge. The cap continued across
the break. The two struts make sense, first for the additional
strength needed because of the offsets, but also so that the struts
cross the bridge above and below the keyboard to avoid clearance
problems. Also the upper end of the treble bridge extended a few
inches into a pocket cast into the plate. The plate had an art nouveau
look to it.

I remember seeing double treble breaks on uprights before, but don’t
remember the brands or if the bridges were notched. It may have been
on ¾ plate pianos.

Has anybody else noticed upright brands where the bridge is not
notched out for strut clearance?

--
Regards,
Jeff Deutschle

Please address replies to the List. Do not E-mail me privately. Thank You.