[pianotech] PR follow up

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Aug 29 03:30:36 MDT 2009

> The stability after restringing has other issues including the
> straightening of the wire at the terminations, the tightening of the
> coils, loops and beckets, etc..  This is not really an issue on a
> piano that has already achieved that type of stability.

I agree with you generally, but in the case of a large pitch raise (or
any pitch raise - but certainly a large one), wouldn't some of the
same be true? I'm referring to the front scale segment of string
mostly - if you turn the tuning pin 1/16th of a turn, the string would
move about 0.05 inches through the aggraffe (or capo) - and so would
the bend in the string that formed while it was sitting in the
aggraffe (or capo). Wouldn't that affect the pitch stability of that
note as that small kink in the string straightened out over time?

FWIW, I know Ron N will be very unimpressed with me for not
calculating the change in length of the string as it goes from forming
a small triangle to a straight segment and the associated change in
pitch. My only excuse at this time is that it is 5:30 AM and I am
working on my first cup of coffee. That's my excuse......

Terry Farrell