[pianotech] PR follow up

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Aug 29 11:14:14 MDT 2009

Gerald Groot wrote:
> Not lumping everyone into the same category Ron of asking questions to avoid
> answers.  Just one person fits that one.  But, everyone is trying to win and
> nobody is conceding.  Typical of disagreements.  I suppose, who cares...
>
> So, who's right?

How can anything be decided when half of the "discussion"
won't acknowledge the questions? And who is trying to "win"? I
see people looking for meaningful information, at least some are.

> I was also pointing out without saying so that everyone reads these posts
> or, most do anyway.  It is silly to condemn someone else for stating an
> opinion on the topic because their opinion isn't necessarily the same as
> others. Disagree fine.  Condemn to slam, not fine.

Again, who condemned whom? I didn't read anything like that.
And if all opinions are of equal value, then discussions on
this list are worth exactly nothing if nobody cares about the
information and reasoning behind the "opinions".

>Although, we are all
> guilty of that latter one at one time or another.  Human nature prevails
> during tumultuous times.

Tumultuous times?

> Besides, I finally joined in with my own opinion...
>
> On top of that, I believe strings stretch after being raised a considerable
> amount in a PR.  I also believe that the piano has to have a certain amount
> of give and take in order for it to take as much tension as is being placed
> on the piano during a major pitch raise after not being tuned in say, 20
> years or more.  Something is giving to some degree.  What is the question
> and how much.

You're entitled to your belief. Some of us have been trying
for a long time to logically and evidentially determine what
that "what" is. Then someone comes along periodically with the
"opinion" lecture and resets any progress back to zero.

> There, you happy now?  :-)

Not really. This same lecture is delivered by a
non-participant at the end of most all extended list
discussions that have fallen apart as a result of participants
ignoring basic questions and dodging the discussion of them.
It's another indication to me that the non participants
aren't, to a disturbing degree, understanding the points the
participants are trying to make. As long as there are still a
few people willing to engage in rational discussion about this
stuff, it's not entirely a lost cause - I hope.
Ron N