[pianotech] Kranich and Bach Grand revisited, Hardman Grand

Clark Sprague CSPRAGUE4 at woh.rr.com
Sun Aug 30 11:55:54 MDT 2009

Hi, Keith.  I don't know about the bridge and soundboard proximity (I'll leave that to others more versed in this concept), but the jacks look remarkably similar to the Kranich and Bach that I worked on last week.
    By the way, the replacement jacks that Schaff sells require some modification to work well.  The upright part of the jack is too thick to get much aftertouch, even when you change the thickness of the felt in the window (at least when you change the spread to line up the whippen heel to be sort of in line with the capstan, like I had to).  And the bottom projection that is used to position the jack under the knuckle is too long, as it catches the adjustment screw under  there, so I needed to grind off some of that to make it work.  The angle of the jack tender is different than the original, as well, so, the letoff and drop adjustments stick out pretty profoundly from all the others around them.
    I was able to make it all work, but not without spending twice as much time as I planned (making half the hourly rate that I usually do).  OH WELL, it works now, rather well :-)

Clark A. Sprague, RPT