[pianotech] Interested in having my Yamaha U1 voiced

William Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Mon Aug 31 16:21:09 MDT 2009

Hi Tyler:

You should start by having a phone conversation with the gentleman whom you
are considering to do the voicing.  He can tell you his level of experience
and his level of commitment to voicing.

There is no absolute assurance that someone you hire can properly perform
this work.  It will require an act of faith on your part.  The voicer begins
by building trust with you.  He will need to see and hear the piano to make
his evaluation as to what he feels the piano's problems are, and what the
piano needs in terms of voicing and other related things.

A competent voicer won't damage the hammers.  His ability to achieve what
you want requires that he engage you in a dialog about what you are hearing
and what you want to get out of the piano.  A skilled voicer will know
whether the piano has it to give, and what he needs to do to get it.

The bothersome overtones may or may not be something that can be addressed
by voicing.  He can tell you.

Will Truitt