[pianotech] pitch raise

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Sat Dec 12 21:57:44 MST 2009

Good job Rob!  You're welcome!  Keep up the good work!  You're doing great!

See what I meant when I said it will sound better?  The longer one spends on
a pitch raise, the harder it is over all on your ears.  They become pickier
and pickier and pickier to the point where you have to take a break and
literally walk away to rest them.  Or, you should anyway at that point.  The
pickier one becomes during that phase, the slower you tend to go.  Why?
Because you're trying to do to good of a job on the first pass on a major
pitch raise.  However, if you raise it to pitch and GET IT THERE like you
did, it comes out surprisingly better than the 1 hour or longer pitch raise
as you duly noted.

When I was about 18-20 years old or so, and still working for Jerry Peterson
who was one of my 3 mentor's, (Harry Buyce RPT, Jerry Peterson RPT and my
dad George W. Groot RPT) the worst piano I have ever run across pitch wise,
was this.  C-4 was 7 keys flat of pitch, counting every single key including
sharps.  = F-3..  It was an old upright that we figured had never ever, been
tuned.   I've never encountered one that far off from pitch since.  I did
run into one that was about G-3 after that but, never again one as bad as
this one.

Anyway, the piano was in Peterson's shop.  He timed me.  I raised it up to
pitch in one pass in 6 minutes to A/440 with Peterson standing there saying,
"you can do it, you can do it, you can do it! GO GO GO!"  Almost yelling it!
I still smile when I think of that old fart and his crotchety attitude.   He
was one heck of a great guy and a wonderful teacher.

Keep on striving for that speed.  You will be faster than a bullet before
you know it.  In those days, we tuned strictly by ear.  The old Strobe was
pretty useless.

Guess what?  We lubed the pressure bar with the now dreaded WD-40.  (Yes, I
quit using it a long time ago) Believe it not but, I didn't even break a
string!

Jer