[pianotech] Faulk tuning hammers

Norman Dutton duttonpiano at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 14 11:11:03 MST 2009

List,

I'm interested in buying a new tuning hammer. I tried Dave Ilvedson's
Faulk Titanium tuning hammer, and like it a lot. I have also been
reading the enthusiastic endorsements of carbon fiber hammers from those
of you who have bought them. I notice that the shortest Faulk carbon
fiber (actually the CF-A and CF-T) hammers are 11", where the titanium
hammers are 10 1/2" to 12". Dave's hammer is 10 1/2", and Ken Burton
recommends a 10" hammer in his book, "Different Strokes". Do carbon
fiber hammers work differently from titanium and steel, where it's
better to have a longer hammer?

Norman Dutton
Dutton Piano Service