[pianotech] somewhat OT Re: sounds, noise, our loud world

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Thu Dec 17 19:02:39 MST 2009

There are practical reasons to stop at 3 strings per tenor/treble unison.
When you look at the obvious exception—the Blüthner—you’ll see the action
center spacing start to get some wide. Carry this through the whole tenor
and, because the action stack has to be made wider, the key flare also has
to increase. This, of course, increases the friction drag on the center rail
bushings causing them to wear out even faster than they do now. As well,
hammers would have to be made wider which would further increase their
already excessive mass. Then hammershanks need to be made stiffer; ditto
wippens. And then there are the keys which, in addition to their increased
flare would also have to be made stiffer to handle the additional mass of
the action. And on and on and on
.

Not to mention that the timbral transition is difficult enough between the
wrapped strings and the tri-chord plain steel strings as it is. I can’t see
how that would be improved any using four-string unisons.

I’m sticking to what I’ve been saying for some time now: There is little
wrong with modern “music” that a good, long-term power outage doesn’t solve.
Even though the lack of electricity may not do anything to improve the
actual quality of the stuff at least we’re not forced to unwillingly listen
to it three blocks away.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich

Piano Design & Fabrication