[pianotech] understrung bridge pins

John Ross jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca
Tue Dec 22 15:13:05 MST 2009

I use a length of brake line, as suggested on the list. I flattened the end, and drilled 2 holes.
The wire fits through, and keeping the orientation the same, once it is attached on the hitch pin, I draw the brake line up. This way the proper string end gets on the proper pin.
Measure for the number of turns you want and take up the slack.
I then use a pair of tools from Pianotek I think. A piece of plastic to separate the base strings, and a screwdriver like tool with a slot, that fits on the wire and allows you to twist over the bridge pins. The tool fits on the universal handle.
I am so organized (read unorganized) that I can't find my Pianotek catalogue, to give a part number.
John Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia.