[pianotech] Deck the halls with universal bass strings

Ken & Pat Gerler kenneth.gerler at prodigy.net
Wed Dec 23 07:12:16 MST 2009

Rob,
When I cut off the excess copper windings on universals I try to cut it off 'with' the direction of the winding, (holding the string with one pliers - vise grips - in a non-used winding/plain string area and circle my cutting pliers with the wrapping of the copper winding).  I have been doing it for 40 years and have never had a problem.  And most of the  time I never give the string a "twist" after I have installed it.  The CA glue is a great way to make sure the end of the winding is secure IF there is a problem.

Ken Gerler