[pianotech] SAT IV extended

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Mon Dec 28 18:13:42 MST 2009

David et al,

I've been following this thread with a great deal of interest. As a SAT3
user since beginning to learn this trade about six years ago, I've been a
bit mystified by how FAC can accurately determine a tuning. And since my
aural skills have gotten less bad, and I've begun to notice that it's NOT
creating a perfect tuning, I have been overruling what the SAT3 tells me to
do.

I believe this is the first discussion that I recall seeing on this topic,
and in my mind it further cements the notion that a good tuner absolutely
MUST know what the machine is doing for him/her. It's a lot like learning to
do arithmetic on paper before resorting to using a calculator... but unlike
using a calculator, the ETD continues to require brainpower beyond knowing
which button to push.

Could I see a show of hands... who still thinks we should have an ETD-only
RPT exam? Anyone who is inclined to raise his hand should first go back and
read -- and understand!! -- the relevant posts on this thread.

Paul Bruesch
Stillwater, MN