[pianotech] Beginner's calibration question

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Tue Dec 29 07:33:21 MST 2009

Whilst we have been getting so very precise about our fork at 440, at a consistent temperature let's remember that the piano will vary depending on the temperature and relative humidity that will vary each day.  While the A might be at exactly 440.000000000 when you pack up your tools, it will be something slightly different when you open the door to leave.  While we as professionals have (probably necessary) obsessive/compulsive disorder we can cross the fine line of insanity pretty easily.  Remember the beckets!

dp

David M. Porritt, RPT
dporritt at smu.edu