[pianotech] Tight Tuning Pins

Jeff Deutschle oaronshoulder at gmail.com
Thu Jan 1 05:05:21 PST 2009

To move a tight pin a small amount, I prefer a heavy hammer. I use the Hale
speed hammer that weighs over 2 pounds and is very economical if you want to
give it a try. Or as a test you can wrap a 1 pound roll of solder around a
conventional hammer to see if you like the heft. Yes it is heavier to move
from pin to pin, but since I use a jerking style, there is less strain when
moving the pin. I don't see an advantage of using a stiffer hammer when
using a jerking style.

--
Regards,
Jeff Deutschle

Please address replies to the List. Do not E-mail me privately. Thank You.