[pianotech] New Tools

Dave Davis dave at davispiano.com
Thu Jan 1 10:04:02 PST 2009

Hi Jon,

I saw a demo of this system at a chapter meeting about a year ago, but the details will be better coming from John Rhodes, RPT. He is a brilliant guy and developed a touch-weight measuring system with Darrel Fandrich. In a nutshell, the technician uses one  mushroom shaped weight (as shown in the Journal), and measures the distance from the keyfront where the key goes down. There is a corresponding computer program where the data is entered...things like keyfront to balance rail, etc. The advantage over traditional touch-weight methods, is it uses one weight instead of the usual combination of 10's, 20's,  25's, etc. and is quicker for guys like me who drop the multiple weights on the floor multiple times.

I've included John's e-mail in the hope that he will respond more intelligently than what I'm dredging up from the depths of chapter technicals.

Dave Davis, RPT