[pianotech] Aural Tuning, a third flat

Greg Livingston pianotuner440 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 1 17:46:31 PST 2009

Dear Friends,

We have been told that the beat rate for A3-C#4 is about 9 bps; F3-A3 is about 7 bps; do these beat rates only apply when A4 is close to 440?

If A3 on a neglected piano is closer to F#, are those beat rates the same?

I recently tuned the most out-of-tune Acrosonic I've ever seen in 22 years of tuning.  I did my best and the piano sounds better than I'm sure it's sounded in years, but I didn't dare get the A anywhere near my 435 fork. I decided just to raise A4 a bit and tune it from that point.  Of course, if it slipped, it would throw everything off, but I had no other reference point.  I will tune it again in a few months.

Can I use those traditional beat rates when the A is somewhere around 420?  Just wondering...

Gregory P. Livingston, Piano Tuning and Service
781-237-9178
Piano Technicians Guild, associate member (Boston chapter)

* * * Always remember September 11, 2001
* * *