[pianotech] aural pitch raises

William Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Thu Jan 1 20:30:58 PST 2009

Hi Bruce,

Not to speak for John, but in my world, I think folks do understand that we
are doing more work here.  In truth though, if they don't, I won't stay up
worrying. <G>

My reality is that if an instrument has languished to the point of needing
pitch corrections, the mental effort may be lessened, but the physical
effort multiplies.  In many ways, we are now doing two or three FULL PASS
tunings.  That is a lot of wear and tear on my body, and I charge for it.  I
explain the concept to my clients and most of them already know that when
they let it go so long, it takes more to get it back.

I think the end result is that we either work longer on a particular
instrument to accommodate the pitch correction, or we must work
uncomfortably fast to stay on schedule.  Either way deserves compensation,
and most folks I work with understand that.

William R. Monroe

John,
I see 2 points of discussion in your PR technique described.
1. You're really pushing yourself along, at approx. 5sec. per string. How
can you keep up this pace for 3 consecutive tunings?
2. Does the customer think they are getting value for money, as I assume
you charge more than standard tuning fee?
Bruce Browning
The Piano Tuner.