[pianotech] aural pitch raises

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Jan 1 21:06:39 PST 2009

I sell pitch raises as "absolution" from neglect. Almost
universally, people are thrilled to be able to buy a
conditional Karma bypass at such a reasonable rate. I haven't
done three passes on a pitch raise in a very long time, even
from well over a semitone down. If something is in a "last
tuned by Noah" state, I'll pull the center string of
everything up as far over pitch as I dare (aural, so you don't
get numbers), and as I come back through pulling the strip
mute, pull the outside strings sharper than the center, dead
reckoning the over pull by the difference between how low it
was to begin with and how high I pulled the center string. If
I did it right, the average unison tension is pretty close as
the center string is pulled up somewhat to pitch on the second
pass, and the outside strings are dropped a tad. All without
over stressing anything detrimentally. I don't think it's on
the recommended technique A list, but as a practical Karma
bypass, it works pretty well with a little practice.

The last two months of tuning have been really strange for me.
I've had a large percentage of repeats I haven't heard from in
3-10 years, and a dozen or so new customers with "Noahs" in
the 1/2 - 2 semitone low state.

'Ts weird. Need stability...

Ron N