[pianotech] Lindner

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Fri Jan 2 05:46:18 PST 2009

Hi Bill, thanks for those thoughts.  Yes, my feeling was partly charitable, that the family deserved a break, and also there was the viewpoint that, well, you couldn't pay me to work on a Lindner, but in some circumstances I'd do it for free.  The trouble with working on a Lindner action, especially the age they all are now, is that even if you do find a solution to fix the odd broken part in some fashion, several others are liekly to break almost the moment you step out the door!

A theoretical solution would be to fit a new keyboard and action, but the cost of doing that would certainly exceed the value of the piano.

I'm not quite so firm as you in my views of organized charities, as I was on the board of one for years (www.eczema.org) and sometimes you do need to have an organisation, to get things done.  But I agree that you have to be careful - some charities are little more than scams, and the profit to good works ratio completley unacceptable!

Best wishes,

David.

"Hi David, I agree with you that there are time an act of charity is a good thing.  I stand wholeheartedly behind you for your decision.  I do not give to organized charities, as I am know that they work with a profit ratio.  When I encounter someone that I feel is really trying, I will bend over backwards to help.  I find it very emotionally rewarding to help people that help themselves.  I am a former piano technician, now a locksmith.  Once in a great while I have been played for a sucker.  I then say that they probably really needed it at the time.

Bill Peterson  a visitor at the So Bay Chapter
Happy New Year"