[pianotech] Tuning levers, was Tight Tuning Pins

Barbara Richmond piano57 at comcast.net
Fri Jan 2 08:20:04 PST 2009

Jeff,

Be tempted to try one.  I never thought I needed one, either.  Then I read some posts on this list by folks I respect and decided to check out what they were raving about.  The first thing I noticed was the lightness of lifting the tool  from pin to pin.   Yeah, that was cool.  And then I started noticing the incredible control I had over the tuning pin....  To be honest, I've not really thought much about springiness in tuning pins, but after using a stiff hammer, I found out how much springiness there is in tuning levers!

Based on my of experience (27 yrs) using whatever hammer technique works for each instrument--jerk, smooth push pull, jiggle, etc., I believe the only time weight <really> makes a difference in a tuning lever is with an impact-style tool (unless you just have a personal perference for heavy tools).  Even with jerk tuning--which is my default, since I was trained that way-- the light & stiff lever out-performs the old & heavy Hale, hands down.   I have more control than I ever imagined possible, with the added benefit of less fatigue from moving the tool from pin to pin.  Or maybe the fatigue is less because tuning is so much easier.  Whatever...I'm not going back.

Best wishes,

Barbara Richmond, RPT
near Peoria, IL