[pianotech] Aural Tuning Training Software

Don pianotuna at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 3 00:22:50 PST 2009

Hi Floyd,

In the old days an oscilloscope and two frequency generators would give you both aural and visual display of beating of coincident partials.

For a while there was a program that ran on the Mac that would allow one to "mouse" for various partial matches--but as computers got faster--the developer didn't bother to keep it current. Too bad--I had a demo copy of the program and it was quite wonderful.

At 09:45 PM 1/2/2009 -0600, you wrote:
>This is probably a hare-brained idea, but I'm curious.
>
>Are any of you aware of anyone who has developed computer software to visual
>the beating of coincident partials in real time?  For instance, the user
>might enter the names of two pitches, play the notes on a piano, and see the
>beats he is hearing displayed as visual pulses on the screen, maybe even
>with the beat speed of each set of coincident partials displayed.  The
>objective the program would be to speed the training of the ears/aural
>awareness through visual reinforcement.
>
>With all the software development happening "out there", I can't imagine
>that I would be the first to come up with the idea.  Maybe someone has
>explored it and found it doesn't actually help anyone, but I'm still
>curious.
>
>Floyd Gadd
>Manitoba Chapter

Regards,