[pianotech] Loose Coils

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Sat Jan 3 12:59:48 PST 2009

A long time ago, someone effected a quick repair on a M&H AA.
A string broke in the treble and the coil was unwound slightly
to get two coils on each pin.

The left wire on the upper unison stays in equally good tune
as the right wire on the lower unison.

I don't neaten it up when I see it because I'm tuning for a performance
and I don't want to introduce an unstable unison due to 'coil creep' just
before use. I never remember to tighten it up when I'm in the building
other times but there is never a problem with stability on the loose coil;
if anything it's usually better than its neighbors.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
--

Regards,

Jon Page