[pianotech] Factory-Reconditioned DEWALT DW713R Heavy-Duty 10 Inch Compound Miter Saw

bobdavis88 at aol.com bobdavis88 at aol.com
Sun Jan 4 10:46:53 PST 2009

 Not too long ago I was in the market for a miter saw. After a lot of shopping for 10" saws, I decided to spend a little more and bought the DeWalt DW716 12" double-bevel compound miter saw. It was almost 400 bucks, but I see there are reconditioned ones out there for less. I've used it a lot and have been really happy I spent the difference.

My advice would be to check out the differences among miter saws to match your needs. One place is www.dewalt.com, but there are also reviews elsewhere. A good thread on differences in types is here: http://www.bt3central.com/archive/index.php?t-4343.html

I like the double bevel, and the greater capacity (with a little diddling, you can crosscut a 2x10). It made an easy job of crown molding and baseboard, beveled some 2x8 for the patio roof, and cut pinblock ends. I decided aganinst the sliding version, which gets you about another 6" of crosscut capacity. I figured it added another chance for inaccuracy, and raised the price 50%. For crosscuts that big, a homemade sled for the table saw is a better choice.

Bob Davis