[pianotech] Double-Wides

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Sun Jan 4 20:47:37 PST 2009

? Hi Terry
? On my Last double wide block I confronted the same issues as you describe here so?my solution was to just cut the delignit block at a diagonal angle & then resaw?so each piece was equal & in the same shape roughly as? a single block. ie wider on one end & narrow on the other. However with a good glue joint doing it?as you describe should be? of no concern.
?With what size drill bit do you recommend on this type block for no.2 pins ?
? Well Done
? Dale
?

No, not those - but rather pinblocks - and more specifically, Delignit capped Multilam doublewides.

?

Yup, made up my first doublewide Delignit capped Multilam pinblock this weekend. Client of mine has two large pianos to rebuild and after going back and forth on dimensions?we both realized it would be a lot easier if I were to simply make him up a doublewide pinblock blank. So here it is!

?

?

?

Full double-width. The Delignit blanks are an inch or so larger than the Multilam - so the final capped block is the size of the original Multilam double blank.

?

?

?

Even though I have a very nice bandsaw, it can't resaw an 18-inch wide (tall) piece of laminated European Beech. So?I cut?the double-wide Delignit blank?in half and resawed the?halves. The?Delignit cap on my pinblock blank ends up with a joint running down the middle - but it's a nice tight joint - one should have no concern even if a tuning pin were to bisect the joint.

?

?

Blatant commercial ploy: operators are standing by.......? ;-)

?

Terry Farrell
Farrell Piano, Inc.

?