[pianotech] Kawai parts problem

Gregor _ karlkaputt at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 5 08:56:49 PST 2009

Interesting topic. Don, Dave Stahl mentioned that you advised not to use Protec for Kawai actions. Dave´s assumption is that the carbon hinders the liqiuid Protec to come out of the bushing. As a consequence, the liquid lets the bushing swell and results in stiff centers. At least this is the way I understand Dave´s statement. Don, could you please tell me if that is correct? Or is there another reason for not using Protec in Kawai actions?

And another statement strikes me reading Bruce´s article about the "hole truth": Bruce, you say that a flange hole gets bigger in humidity. Is it not the other way round? I thought that humidity lets the wood swell and therefore the hole should get smaller. But it might be that I understood your article in the wrong way as English is not my first language. Could you please explain why the hole gets bigger in humidity?

Gregor