[pianotech] Touch weight dynamics and the relationship between SW and FW

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Jan 5 21:11:50 PST 2009

I've noticed in setting up actions over the years that the ones that feel
the best have a particular relationship between front weights and the strike
weights and that this relationship is an inverse one.   In other words, if,
in order to achieve a targeted balance weight, the FWs are approaching
maximums, the SWs should be kept fairly low and vice versa-if the SWs are
high, the FWs should be relatively low.  That's not really surprising since
those two components contribute the most to the inertia in the action (the
wippen lever's contribution is minimal).  Similarly, actions with low FWs
don't feel that great with low SWs as if the inertia is too low and the
feeling of the action flying away from you leaves a sense of lack of
control.  Actions that have both high SWs and FWs tend to feel heavy even
when the BW is low.  It would also make sense, then, that midrange FWs would
match up best with midrange SWs.

So what I did was create matching tables, one using the original SW Zones
published by David Stanwood and then using his published FW maximums as a
starting point creating a set of FW zones that correspond in terms of the
comparable ratios between each zone.  What I'm crudely trying to achieve are
actions that possess similar amounts of inertia by matching inversely
related BW and FW zones.  Roughly speaking, it seems that actions will have
equivalent dynamic "feel" when balance weights are equal and when the zones
are matched-the lightest SW zones going with the heaviest FW zones and vice
versa.  This can create some problems, for example, the only practical way
to get a zone 7 match with a reasonable balance weight would be either to
reduce the action ratio so much that the regulation would be compromised,
or, at the point at which the action ratio is maxed out, install a wippen
assist spring to reduce the BW to the appropriate level.  Similarly, at a
zone 1 match, while the action may have good dynamic feel with the high FW
offsetting the low SW but with a high action ratio needed to get a
reasonable BW, the regulation would be compromised (by modern standards with
a  very shallow dip) at the other end.

It seems to suggest (to me anyway) that there are really a limited range of
zones that are really practically usable (for a medium range BW) if we want
the inertia to be within some reasonable range and not be forced to
compromise the regulation or resort to the use of an assist spring.   For
most pianos that means zones 3, 4 or 5 (zone 3 is my own particular favorite
combination plate) with the compromise being slightly modified regulation
combined with a modest adjustment up or down of the balance weight.

As an aside, hammer makers would do well to target these zones in
manufacturing which typically means that hammer weights should fall within a
narrow range +/- of SW  - 1.7 grams.  It would make life a bit easier.
There are, of course, always exceptions.

OK, have at it.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com

Note