[pianotech] steinway hinges buzz

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Tue Jan 6 02:54:31 PST 2009

<< Steinway "B" 70's with loud buzing hinges when lid is on the short stick.
I've had this happen on Yamahas , and raising and then lowering the lid
always cures it. Not so in this case.
Hinge pins are not loose, and all screws are tight. >>

Greetings,
   I have had several pianos do this, and it is always a loose front hinge
rod rattling in the tubes.  I just hit them with a hammer along several places.
The slight distortion of the hinge is invisible, and it traps the rod.  I use
a hardwood block so the hammer head doesn't nick the hinge. (or you can try
wicking some CA glue in there to block it up.)
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>New year...new news.  Be the first to know
what is making headlines. (http://www.aol.com/?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000026)</HTML>