[pianotech] steinway hinges buzz

Mike Kurta mkurta1 at comcast.net
Tue Jan 6 07:02:19 PST 2009

    Richard:
    Since no one else responded, I'll put in my 2 cents.  The first step is to determine where the buzz is coming from.  Once you know that is should be a lot easier to correct.  You mention hinges buzzing.  That would indicate two parts vibrating against one another in sympathy with the note(s) being played.  I'd suggest having another person play the offending keys while you zero in on the noise source.  Also try to listen to the noise more closely by using a long screwdriver with the handle end in your ear, an old mechanic's trick. Hinge?  If so, which one, and can you silence it by pressure on the pin, lid, upper or lower hinge piece.  I had one once where the pin seemed tight, but after removing it, and hammering a slight bend in it, the noise stopped.  They can be tough to find, and sometimes directionally misleading.  Let us know what you find......
    Mike Kurta, RPT