[pianotech] Regulating black key dip

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue Jan 6 17:02:58 PST 2009

At 17:56 -0600 6/1/09, Andrew Anderson wrote:

>I've finally got around to regulating key dip on the old Everett I
>had refurbished.
>
>I set the fronts where I had a good combination of blow distance and
>key dip with adequate (minimal) aftertouch.
>
>I started setting the sharps by touch.  I noticed that something was
>happening to my aftertouch on the white keys.
>
>Sure enough, the white keys were catching the black key punchings,
>too early of-course.
>
>Any sensible fixes?

How high above the naturals have you set the sharps?  Surely if a fix
were needed Everett would have fixed it.  Or perhaps you've stuck on
horrid fat key tops, which means you need more under the balance and
the front of the sharps to bring them to the right relative height.
If you add height to the naturals you need to raise the sharps by the
same amount by gluing a shim between the ebony and the key-wood.  Of
course nobody bothers, so they botch it, as most things are done in
the piano trade.

JD