[pianotech] smart phone vs. pda

Norman Dutton duttonpiano at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 7 10:30:14 PST 2009

Dave,

I'm pretty sure HP handhelds only run Windows Pocket PC OS. I think Marc
was recommending against getting a Treo with Windows OS. I haven't had
any firsthand experience with this, but I would agree. If you get a
Treo, get the Palm OS.

Duane is correct, Palm is introducing a new OS based on Linux soon.
There was an article in the SF Chronicle about it last Sunday. You can
see it online at
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/01/04/BUN3152PC8.DTL&hw=Palm+OS&sn=001&sc=1000.
It doesn't look like that will be available in the timeframe you're
thinking of, and I wouldn't be one of the first to buy one if it were
available. I'd wait until they fix the inevitable raft of bugs.

I don't know what a Blackberry costs, but it would be worth looking at
too. What does the list think about Blackberrys?

Norman Dutton