[pianotech] Rebushing - new article

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Wed Jan 7 12:54:01 PST 2009

Oh JD, you are such a sweet innocent, so certain of the Queen's English!

A 1950s "The Goons" sketch has a charcacter (Harry Secombe's Ned Seagoon I think) calling on houses in a street to evacuate the occupants late at night, for some reason. To one sultry-voiced lady who answers the door, he says "I'm sorry to knock you up so late, Madam", to which she replies "Oh, they all say that!"

For US readers, if you didn't work it out, a "knocking shop" (I'm not sure how current that usage is) is a brothel. For those who don't know what a brothel is, congratulations, clearly you had an upbringing of exemplary rectitude.

JD I do love your dry humour: "...tear a strip of 3 or 4 feet in length depending on how many mistakes you intend to make". and "You should - now I tell you! - have chosen a cloth that is suited for a certain size of pin, and this pin will be used both for the initial pressing of the cloth and for the final centring,"

Chortling,

David.

">..you may already be well-aware that to be "knocked up" (as in, "A
>simple tool can be quickly knocked up for making the ends on the
>strips") means something other than "fabricated" on this (the U. S.)
>side of the pond.

Ah! We got 'knocking shop' but that one hasn't (yet) polluted the
Queen's English! -- though I live a very sheltered life!  I'll change
it straight away.  I hope not too many fragile readers fainted on
reading it :-)

JD"