[pianotech] Emailing: Wm.Rolfe Pianoforte 005

tom tomtuner at verizon.net
Wed Jan 7 15:20:58 PST 2009

Clark,
Where are you located?
Tom Driscoll

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Clark Sprague
Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 2:26 PM
To: Pianotech List
Subject: [pianotech] Emailing: Wm.Rolfe Pianoforte 005

Esteemed Colleagues,  A while ago, I posted about a Wm. Rolfe Fortepiano,
that someone in my area has in their possession.  They want to sell, or
donate, this piece to a museum, or private collector, that will preserve,
and appreciate it.  I went to look, and photograph it today, and it is
magnificent, even though it would need some TLC to be perfect.  It has 1
string that was tied, has a few over-dampers that are detached, and 4
key-fronts that are also detached (the pieces are there, NOT missing).  The
one thing that is possibly missing (I don't know if there was one there in
the first place, although I believe that there was) is some kind of pedal
lyre?  There is only very minor veneer chips (at the bottom edges of the
case) that I could see.  I have additional pictures available if there is
anyone out there who knows of someone who might be interested.
    Interestingly enough, the piano came from New Hampshire, and in the
drawers at the bottom of the keybed are tons of artifacts from New England,
that the owners put in there to keep.  There are two (cards?) from
manufacturers in Boston from way back.  McPhail, and Miller, Gibson, and
Co.), and Newspaper articles dating clear back to 1773!!!
    Isn't this a wonderful business that we're in?  To be able to see, and
touch artifacts that go clear back to before the Declaration of Independence

is just incredible to me.  The serial number of the piano seems to indicate
that the piano was made circa 1805, and further proof of this is that the
piano is signed Wm. Rolfe, and not Wm. Rolfe and Sons.
    As I stated before, more pictures are available upon request.

Thanks!
Clark A. Sprague, RPT
csprague4 at woh.rr.com

Wm.Rolfe Pianoforte 005

sending or receiving certain types of file attachments.  Check your e-mail
security settings to determine how attachments are handled.