[pianotech] Changeable pitch action

Jim jim at jimkinnear.com
Wed Jan 7 20:48:02 PST 2009

John,
you are absolutely correct . . .  I actually have one of these Heintzman &
Co beasts in my living room, and the keys do indeed move a half octave in
either direction., with the excess keys disappearing in to hollowed out
cheek blocks. ( Not quite an octave, as there is no F#) The scale is
overlapping strung as in a standard piano, but the plate is 6" wider in
both directions, and also has the inadvertent result of a larger soundboard
by about 4 sq ft.

I saw two of these pianos in the late 80's in the Georgian Bay area of
Ontario, and bought the third.
It isn't straight strung, as Wim had suggested, but the keys are all
straight, and the action has an extra set of components at the bottom, that
compensates for the tenor and treble break.

I don't know if this feature makes it more valuable, but certainly rare.
I've only seen 3 in twenty five years of tuning, and as I mentioned, I
bought the third one.

If anyone is interested, I'll take some pics and post them on my website
www.pianoguy.com
cheers

Jim Kinnear
Collingwood, ON