[pianotech] Changeable pitch action

Jurgen Goering pianoforte at pianofortesupply.com
Wed Jan 7 21:46:04 PST 2009

These Heintzmans are not that rare - I am sure that many were built.  I
know two shops close by that have both had a half dozen of these go
through, sometimes two at once.  I have also seen several makes of
German transposing pianos.

The principle is very clever. I haven't seen one recently but if memory
serves: the wippens have dowel capstans on wires instead of cloth
wippen heels.  The capstans come to rest on the felted key ends.  The
keys are all straight, and the capstan wires (coming down from the
wips) are bent is such a way that the capstans are spaced perfectly
evenly from # 1 through # 88.  Thus the key frame can slide left and
right (in increments of 1/2" or whatever) and the capstans will always
be spaced perfectly (almost) to the keys.

I hope someone posts photos.

Jurgen Goering