[pianotech] Grams, swings and centre pin sizes [was Kawai parts - response]

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu Jan 8 02:18:58 PST 2009

At 23:52 -0600 7/1/09, Michael Magness wrote:

>  ...manufacturing margin of error as well. If a hammer flange is 2gr
>or 4gr I can adjust so it works, but if it is designed to be 1 gram,
>it had better be one gram not .6 less or it fails.
>
>  So I am curious, and open minded about it. Why lower friction in
>flanges by design?

I get your drift and probably tend to agree, but every time I read
about centre pin friction being so many grams or so many swings I
flinch.  Grams where and swings of which hammer? I ask myself.  Grams
as a unit of torque is quite meaningless.  Torque must be measured in
one of a dozen more units, the most convenient in this case being
'grams force per millimetre'.  With the flange horizontal, the
intrinsic torque will be directly above the centre of gravity of the
flange, which will vary in distance from the centre according to the
design of the flange, a Schwander flange having its centre of gravity
further from the centre than a Steinway flange.  The amount of
intrinsic torque will vary slightly also according to the wood used,
whether maple, hornbeam or service-wood.

The total torque is the intrinsic torque added to the force applied
at the centre of gravity required to overcome the friction at the
centre and begin to move the flange, this divided by the number of
millimetres from the centre to the centre of gravity of the flange.

Whatever intuitive methods we use to approximate to this measurement,
the indisputable fact remains that friction is measure in units of
force PER unit of length and cannot be measure in units of mass, such
as 'grams'.

As to "swings", hammer number 1 will swing more than hammer No. 50
for a given friction, and so on.

The most reckless of backstreet motor mechanics is not shy of
speaking of 'foot pounds' as he screws down a cylinder head, so why
should we be so shy to use proper units instead of quite meaningless
units.

>Now for another matter of opinion............
>How large a required pin in a flange is too large for a new piano?
>22.5 in a 6 month old piano should have a new part? 22, 21.5???
>How enlarged is too enlarged a birds eye are deserves a new part while
>under warranty. I know this is subjective, and I will make my own
>determination in the end, but others opinions will weigh in.

For high quality work I don't like to use a pin any fatter than two
or three half sizes fatter than the original pin, so if the original
pin was an American 20 (1.27mm) I would hope to use a 20-1/2 and feel
unhappy using a 21-1/2.  As to finding out what the original size
was, if someone has previouly recentred the parts, it is not
difficult for an experienced workman to know this.

I very rarely use new parts.  For example, in the case of the
rebushing described in my recent article, I had hornbeam shanks or
service-wood (sorbus) flanges and they had been previously recentred
with a 21-1/2 pin (1.35mm).  I was pretty sure the original pin would
have been a 19 or 19-1/2 (1.25 mm) both from knowing common practice
at the time and from familiarity with the action maker in question,
and this was confirmed when I had swelled out the flange drillings
and discovered that using the centre cutters I could push in a 1.25
pin using just the right amount of pressure, good and tight but not
creaking, if you like.

I have described before how to reduce the diameter of the drilling in
parts that have been re-centred with fatter pins, and this method has
never failed.  Not only is it very quick but it saves the cost of
getting new parts which are very rarely exact and almost always of
inferior quality, Renner not excepted.  I can use bushing cloth of
the best quality and pins to match rather than risk trying out the
latest fad from Japan or Germany.  In the case of standard modern
pianos such as Steinway I will simply weigh up the costs when
deciding whether to use new standard parts, but with the pound at its
present level against the euro it is nearly always going to be better
to restore the original parts.

JD