[pianotech] Collard & Collard revisited

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Jan 8 03:36:37 PST 2009

Don't know about the tip - sorry.

Joe has a good suggestion of starting on A2 or so - much easier to hear the
right pitch there than down toward A0.

I guess the proper thing to do regarding pitch is to measure a few strings
in different areas of the scale and calculate whether the string scale was
designed to tolerate A440.

I've done a few pianos that flat. I target Standard Pitch on the first pass
(no overpull) - it will end up 100 to 200 cents flat. I do that to find out
from the get-go whether or not the instrument has any chance of being tuned
to A440 or not. If the strings don't break on the first pass, you should be
able to continue and tune it at A440. On the first pass, you might want to
raise the pitch of the bass and high treble first - those are the most
likely areas for strings to break. After the first pass you might want to
shoot for Standard Pitch again on the high treble, as that is the area that
will go the most flat after a pass.

I'd keep overpull to a minimum. You're gonna end up doing 3 to 5 pitch raise
passes.

Oh, and you might want to make your appointment with the chiropractor for
the late afternoon of the day you do this....... ('course that's assuming
you can even tune this thing in one day!).

Terry Farrell