[pianotech] Grams, swings and centre pin sizes [was Kawai parts - response]

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Thu Jan 8 05:45:54 PST 2009

Dave writes:
<<  No two technicians agree if this is a valid way to pin.  :-)  >>

    Oh, but I do!   I have been pinning this way for a long time. It is fast,
consistant, and matches the friction to the load.  It takes about 90 minutes
to repin a complete hammer line and for concert work, is a no-brainer.
     I am tuning a piano this a.m. that I repinned in 1983.  I did it in the
winter, and pinned the whole hammerline to swing 6 times, (I keep records on
the school's repair work). It has been used a lot over the decades.  Last week,
I found that 90% of the hammerflanges are still between 6 and 7 swings.  Two
or three were loose as all get out, and one was tight.
    Consistancy is where its at in pinning.  Pinning by swing can produce as
consistant a "friction line" as any method I have tried and is faster on the
bench than any of the others.  What's not to like?.
Regards.

Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>New year...new news.  Be the first to know
what is making headlines. (http://www.aol.com/?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000026)</HTML>