[pianotech] Grams, swings and centre pin sizes [was Kawai parts - response]

V T pianovt at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 8 13:15:42 PST 2009

Hi Ron,

Interesting that you put the tight ones in the treble! The opposite of what
I am doing. I will do some experiments, although, as you say, if the action
is within an acceptable range, it would be very hard for the player to know.

I am curious as to why you see more need for a tight center in the treble. My thinking is that hammers that are angled and heavy will twist the shanks the hardes. The angle of the hammer creates a difference in load for the two sides of the bearing (left side center-of-mass is not at the same radius as the right side).

The one thing I have noticed is that loose centers in the bass make the action feel like a shot gun with a light trigger; it's more difficult to control the low dynamic playing levels.

Vladan