[pianotech] Handling wire w/ talcum powder

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Fri Jan 9 08:37:40 PST 2009

At 08:17 -0500 9/1/09, CHARLES BECKER wrote:

>I believe you want talc.  It is different than talcum powder.  Dust
>the new tuning pins with talc.  Put enough pins in the talc for each
>wire size.   Wastes less talc this way.  I don't know the difference
>between talc and talcum powder but I think they are not the same.

Talc, talcum powder, French chalk --  all exactly the same stuff and
certainly not to be used for dusting pins since it has a lubricating
effect.  Plain chalk powder or "whitening" is used by many people
here but talc must not be used.  I must admit I used talc on the
first piano I ever restrung and luckily was firmly put right by an
experienced man before I did my next one.  I am sure the piano
survived.

As to chalking the hands to keep them dry and prevent sweat getting
on the strings, same thing.  Powdered chalk is better.

JD