[pianotech] blackberry vs pda

phil at emvkeys.ca phil at emvkeys.ca
Sat Jan 10 05:49:26 PST 2009

My own experience...

My old PDA, an Audiovox PPC 6600 was near the end of it's contract when
I upgraded a while back, so it became my dedicated ETD platform. (My new
HTC is my phone, calender and contact manager) I was concerned about
whether my old PPC6600 would hold up long term (it already had nearly 3
years of daily use on it with no problems) so I bought 2 more PPC 6600s
from eBay (around $60 each) as back-ups. After 18 months my original
PPC6600 is still working fine.

Durability: I don't use any sort of protective case as I found these a
nuisance with my phat phingers. It has been dropped on concrete and
asphalt several times, once I stepped on it and it slid under my foot on
a parking lot. So far, so good. No software issues to speak of.

Based on my own experiences only, I recommend this model as a durable
and reliable ETD platform with a very large touch screen and a slide out
keyboard, affordably available  from eBay. Extra batteries and
accessories are also affordable from eBay. A full charge serves me for
at least 2  tunings at which point I simply switch batteries. I tune
very slowly as I'm very new at this profession, typically the PDA is on
for about 2 hours per tuning, backlight turned down to about 40%.

This may be a suitable option for someone.

Cheers, Phil

www.artistpianocare.ca