[pianotech] blackberry vs pda

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 08:00:11 PST 2009

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 9:34 AM, Ben Gac <ben at benspianotuning.com> wrote:

> I've been using a Blackberry for the past 3 years, and I have to tell you,
> it's one of the best business tools I have.  I have AT&T, I used the
> Blackberry 8800 model until just recently, now I have the new Bold 9000.  I
> like it for a number of reasons:
> - I can cut and past text from email to my calendar, or any other
> application (can't do that with an iPhone)
> - it views word, excel, power point, and pdf documents, and also allows me
> to create and edit them

Groan .... don't remind me. I've been waiting and waiting for these two
Apple promises to be fulfilled.

> - there's a wealth of information available in the Contacts, and it's great
> to be able to just type in the name of a client and call them up, or look at
> their history

This is nice, and something I've thought of doing with Contacts on the
iPhone.

> - I LOVE the instantaneous email push!  I can read pianotech postings
> immediately or clients' requests for information.  When I'm out in the
> field, I can return emails between jobs using the QWERTY keyboard with no
> trouble at all.

Yep. I often find myself reading a few list posts during a tuning.  Skimming
more than reading, but it's good to have some of those posts read and filed
away before the evening when I would have normally taken care of all that.

> - I take a picture of the piano with my camera phone at client's homes and
> make it the picture that pops up when they call me.  It's really useful when
> you see the name of a caller and you can't quite remember what their piano
> looks like or what you did there last.  This creates instant recognizability
> and is a nice substitue for trying to take an awkward face picture of your
> clients!

Good idea.

> The only other problem I've come across is trying to talk on myphone with a
> client while I try to schedule them in my calendar.  Using a bluetooth ear
> piece or putting your client on speaker phone while you look at the calendar
> screen has alway worked though.

I try to always use an earpice. I'm wary of having that much radiation that
close to my head.

--
JF