[pianotech] Smart phone in the field

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 11:33:05 PST 2009

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 1:13 PM, David Ilvedson <ilvey at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>   OK...reading Ben's list of what he uses his phone for made me
> wonder...do techs really read their email when out working?   Do we really
> surf the web when we're working?   It seems to me I've got enough to do
> without these distractions...

And why not? If you ETD guys are using your eyes to "read" the screen, mine
can also read a screen. They're free to roam about wherever, so why not on a
PDA screen? It ain't like normal reading, but I can get at least a few
non-critical emails read while tuning.  I mean, after tuning for so long, it
becomes so familiar that we can do that sort of thing.

Now I don't read while the customer is about. :-)  And it does make me go a
little slower 'cause I have to press a delete button or inbox button as I'm
moving the lever around.

>  The GPS sounds pretty good...BUT...how do you access the phone's GPS
> while driving?   Hold it in your hand while driving?   I was in a Prius the
> other day...ride back to the house while the Corolla was serviced...it has a
> great GPS...big screen, voice directions...nothing to hold.

I have a dedicated GPS for driving. Bigger screen, louder voice, etc.  It's
somewhat ironic.  While some tuners apparently need a device to tell them
what to do, I need one that tells me where to go. <G>  Seriously, I am
directionally challenged, although I can do decently enough on my own.  But
the GPS has saved a good bit of time by taking me on routes I didn't know
existed.

--
JF