[pianotech] repin CA'd pinblock

Larry Fisher RPT larryf at pacifier.com
Sun Jan 11 04:11:16 PST 2009

As luck would have it, I just finished restringing a Yamaha C3, circa 1970
or so, that had been CA'd.  I made cuts directly through the tuning pin
holes on the old pin block to look for the effects of penetration of the CA
glue into the holding area of the tuning pin.  There wasn't any.  Most of
the glue splayed out across the top of the pin block just under the cast
iron plate.  This particular piano had tuning pin bushings and they were
encrusted with all kinds of glue in the applied area.  I summarized that the
glue saturated the tuning pin and the tuning pin bushing gluing the bushing
to the plate.  That would be the beneficial part.  There had to be bushings
that bonded to the tuning pin but not to the plate.  This would increase
friction which would be beneficial but most likely not enough to warrant the
procedure.  In short, CA glue effectiveness is reduced if it's not injected
or wicked into the tuning pin hole in the pin block.

Oversize pins could buy you 20 years or more providing the pinblock hasn't
delaminated.  Yes, that makes tuning the piano a wee bit more of the
challenge, but at least it's not a 4' 8" with plastic mallets for hammers
and an action full of rodentia!!!

Larry Fisher