[pianotech] Handling wire w/ talcum powder

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon Jan 12 14:21:45 PST 2009

At 14:25 +0000 12/1/09, lee innocent wrote:

>John,
>Where is do you buy the rosin, is it bow rosin?

I think bow rosin would work fine but I seem to remember it's rather
tough.  The stuff I use I buy by the pound from the French polish
suppliers.  It's very cheap and more friable than bow rosin, and it's
a transparent yellow colour.  I'm not sure what tree it comes from --
probably from the fir.  It is used by French polishers melted
together with beeswax and powder colours to make up stopping and I
use it also for that.

The resin could be dissolved in alcohol and painted on the pins as a
"pin driving fluid" and, though I've often thought of it, I've never
actually done it.  Other people on the list say it works, so I see no
reason why not, if it's practical.  On the other hand the dry resin
does just as well.

JD