[pianotech] Rebuilding a early 1920's Knabe Piano

Lynn Hall lmha60 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 12 20:22:07 PST 2009

Mike you are correct. I could not figure out how to thread to the posting so here is my reply to Wim; (Thanks)

Willem,

Thanks for the information. I should write better for clarity.

It is my piano I and am considering having it rebuilt. I will have a rebuilder do a complete rebuild and I know I it is not a "good investment", but I play a lot and will pass it on to family someday.

I am torn between having a new board put in or having it shimmed.

When I was talking about price I meant the price to have the case refinished costing between 10,000 and 12,000 dollars, not including the rest of the rebuild which I know is costly.

Also is a 1922 Knabe worth this investment, I certainly could not buy a new Steinway M for under $45,000 and I assume when completed the knabe will be able to compete for quality of sound and playability after the rebuild?

Thanks