[pianotech] Rebuilding a early 1920's Knabe Piano

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Jan 12 20:39:19 PST 2009

With your other post in mind I should add that since you own the piano I
would definitely consider having it done but you have to weigh it against
the cost of a new instrument of non-Steinway type and what your goals are.
In the right hands you  will end up with and excellent piano.   I would
argue for considering a new board.  It's a shame to do all that work over a
lousy old board.  I am currently working on a 6'4" Knabe from 1924 with a
Victorian case, new board, new scale, new action, new everything.  I expect
it will be an outstanding instrument when it's done.  Whether or not someone
will pay what I think it's worth is another matter, but I'm a patient
person.

$10,000 - $12,000 would be high for refinishing unless it were a very
ornately carved case with lots of repair.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com