[pianotech] Steinway ex-DuoArt action removal problem

David Trasoff david at davidtrasoff.com
Tue Jan 13 09:04:18 PST 2009

Dear Listers,

I am hoping that someone with more recent experience dealing with
these instruments will be able to give me the clue I need. This is a
1920 Steinway Miniature with the player mechanism removed, probably
many years ago. The piano is in completely original (and badly worn)
condition. Apparently no work other than occasional tuning for many
years. I attempted to remove the action in order to investigate
sticking keys, and found that something is blocking the action from
sliding forward out of the case. The action will move side to side, a
little, and forward and back, up until it runs into whatever is
preventing it from continuing to move forward. For all I know, the
action has never been removed from the piano since the player
mechanism was removed! What might have been left sticking up into the
keybed that is hanging the action? Where should I look and what might
I be looking for?

Thanks for your suggestions.

David Trasoff

---