[pianotech] Handling wire w/ talcum powder

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 13 13:32:28 PST 2009

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 4:21 PM, John Delacour <JD at pianomaker.co.uk> wrote:

> At 14:25 +0000 12/1/09, lee innocent wrote:
>
> John,
>> Where is do you buy the rosin, is it bow rosin?
>>

> I think bow rosin would work fine but I seem to remember it's rather tough.
>  The stuff I use I buy by the pound from the French polish suppliers.  It's
> very cheap and more friable than bow rosin, and it's a transparent yellow
> colour.  I'm not sure what tree it comes from -- probably from the fir.  It
> is used by French polishers melted together with beeswax and powder colours
> to make up stopping and I use it also for that.
>
> The resin could be dissolved in alcohol and painted on the pins as a "pin
> driving fluid" and, though I've often thought of it, I've never actually
> done it.  Other people on the list say it works, so I see no reason why not,
> if it's practical.  On the other hand the dry resin does just as well.
>
> JD

I have used plain old corn starch for years, works well, easy to find, cheap
enough, doesn't stain or get sticky and vacuums or blows out with a
compressor.

We used it in the class I took at UW-Minnesota and my mentor, a PTG tech
with 50 + years experience rebuilding everything that came his way from
Steinways to Wurlitzers(his motto, it all spends)used it with great success.

It absorbs the hand oils that naturally occur as you work over a period of
time, so re-application as it wears off is important.
We always just dump a little into the tuning pin box and as we grab for a
new one we re-apply automatically.

Mike
--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404