[pianotech] Rebuilding a early 1920's Knabe Piano

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Jan 13 13:48:31 PST 2009

> I have a few questions about rebuilding a Knabe Piano:
>
> 1) I notice the soundboard has very tight grains, never has been
> replaced, but has at least 9 substantial cracks. If I decide to replace
> the soundboard instead of asking the re-builder to shim the cracks, will
> I be able to find a soundboard that is as good as this one is from the
> 1920's?

Maybe, depending on who builds the board. Depending on the
construction method, tight grain isn't necessarily desirable.

> 2) Or should I demand that it be shimmed to retain grains/inch?

No. A dead soundboard with high grain density is still a dead
soundboard, and the description sounds very like a dead
soundboard.

> 3) Could I sell the old soundboard to offset the cost of replacement,
> since it would be a good soundboard to build shims?

You can try. If you find someone to buy it, send me their
contact information. I can fix them up with more.

> 4) The piano has a mahogany finish, but is in very bad shape due to the
> age of the piano. I want it to look very nice and last many years. What
> is a reasonable price to pay for this? Is between $10,000 and $12,000
> too much.

Yes, I think it's substantially too much, at least in this area.
Ron N