[pianotech] Rebuilding a early 1920's Knabe Piano

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 13 13:49:37 PST 2009

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 3:17 PM, Mark Potter
<bases-loaded76 at sbcglobal.net>wrote:

>   Hi Rob -
>
> This is interesting in that, having done alot of refinishing, with the
> exception of cases that are badly damaged I actually think going black is
> a MUCH tougher job than going natural.
>
> My reasoning: the intrinsic visual interest of a mahogany grain pattern
> helps camouflage minor imperfections whereas a solid black finish is *
> completely* unforgiving.  In addition, I think a black finish that doesn't
> have the pores completely filled (still shows grain) - looks pretty goofy
> (subjective, I know), whereas a clear finish can show some grain without
> losing aesthetics.  This boils down to being able to forego what is a major
> step in the refinishing process - namely completely filling the pores.
> Granted, a small bag of simple tricks can be required for the natural finish
> to camouflage minor imperfections, but it needn't be time-consuming (again,
> in the absence of significant damage).  Either way, loose veneer really
> needs to be glued down, no way outta that one.  In addition, I think
> rub-thrus, an almost inevitable consequence of rubbing out, are MUCH easier
> to feather in an 'invisible repair' with a natural finish.
>
> Naturally, YMMV, and we are talking econo methods here on a case that only
> needs minor repairs.  If you can make black work easier, my hat is off to
> you!
>
> Mark Potter
>
> --- On *Tue, 1/13/09, Rob Goodale <rrg at unlv.nevada.edu>* wrote:
>
> A couple of thoughts regarding refinishing-
>
> First, when all else fails and it looks like economics are going to rule the
> day the easiest way out is to go with black lacquer.  Forget the tedious
> task of matching and coloring veneer, regluing loose veneer, and all the
> other time consuming work that natural finishes involve.

IMHO Mark is right on the money with his comments. A good friend and mentor
who has refinished many more pianos than I have was not a very talkative
salesman preferrring to let the job sell itself UNTIL the customer asked
about refinishing it in Ebony. He then became a very talkative salesman
trying to talk them out of it. For 2 very important reasons, it's a
difficult finish to put on right and it chips easily and doesn't "touch-up"
easily.

The only pianos I ever saw him do in ebony by choice were some used blonde
studio pianos he acquired for next to nothing. He filled the chips and
missing veneer with Bondo, sprayed a heavy primer coat, sanded it and
sprayed 2 or 3 coats of black lacquer. However that was on pianos that
already had had a lot of filler on/in them from the blonde finish and he
felt it was the quickest choice for a low priced instrument.
--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404