[pianotech] What gender is a piano?

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Wed Jan 14 16:13:45 PST 2009

A new customer tonight posed a question I'd not thought of before.  Do pianos have gender?

Ships are female. Female gender identity is also sometimes ascribed to other things - cars, etc.  This lady was inclined to view her c1900 straight-strung (though underdamped) upright as female. I'd never considered this before.

But I did say to her that I've long maintained that 1) a piano 2) an open coal fire and 3) a grandfather clock, are all quasi-living things in a home. And if they have quasi-life, ought they not to have quasi-gender? I suppose the grandfather clock would have to be male.  I wondered afterwards, had the piano been a new one, would she have ascribed gender to it, and if so, which?